Almost all of us are aware of the classic example of ‘the half empty/half-full glass’. Why does it really matter if we see the glass as half empty or half full right? After all, it’s just a glass of water.
Well, it might not really matter much in the case of a glass of water but it shows our outlook towards life. Do we pay attention to the things we have or do we pay attention to the things that we don’t?
Our outlook towards life determines how we live our lives, whether in a positive way or a negative way.
Positive thinking makes a person happy and successful because you focus on the ‘good’ things or the things that you have.
It helps you see the possibilities in life and you are never limited. Negative thinking, on the other hand, makes a person unhappy and less successful because you are limited to and focused on the things that you don’t have.
Some of the powers of positive thinking are:
- It helps us live a longer life – researches have shown us that optimism is correlated with many positive life outcomes including increased life expectancy.
- It reduces stress – one of the reasons for stress is excessive worrying and worrying is a form of negative thinking. Thus, a person with positive thinking will worry less and therefore be less stressful.
- It helps us get better sleep – we all know why sleep is so important for us. It gives our body time to recover from all the ‘wear and tear’ that happens during the day. Now, stress and worrying can keep us up late at night and might wake us up quite frequently at night. Positive thinking keeps stress and worries at bay thus helping us get a good night’s undisturbed sound sleep.
- It improves our immune system – researches have also proved that having a positive outlook makes us less prone to falling sick.
- It helps us be more appreciative of the little things in life – when we think positively, we tend to appreciate the little thing in our life.
Thus, making ourselves a happier person, having better relationships, keeping negative thoughts at bay and also being motivated intrinsically to grow.
It helps us have high self-esteem – when we have a positive outlook; we also see the potential in ourselves. Thus, making ourselves more confident and have high self-esteem.
It helps us become more successful – positive thinking does not let the fear of failure or rejection come in our way. Negative thinking stops us from trying new things by bringing doubts into our mind but positive thinking does not stop us in any way, helping us move forward towards growth with confidence.
The aforementioned were thus, the benefits of positive thinking. Now, to address the lingering question that – If one can learn to be an Optimist or to think positively. Martin Seligman, the founder of Positive Psychology has proved that one can. Now, all we need to know are the ways to develop positive thinking in ourselves, and luckily, it’s not that difficult either.
Some of the ways we can develop positive thinking are:
- Meditation – Spend a minimum of 5-7 minutes every day in a quiet room and meditate. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Read more about the impact of meditation. It is not easy to stop yourself from thinking, but after a while, you will master it.
- Have fun – Do the things you love and that bring you happiness. Spend some time forgetting about the world and just enjoy doing whatever you love. It will relax you and also put you in a better mood.
- Journal writing – This is a great way to bring positivity in your life. Every day, either before going to bed or after waking up, spend 10 minutes writing in a journal. You can write anything you want. If you write at night you can write about your day.
This will be a great way to reflect back on your day and keep the negative energy away. If writing in the morning, you can write what you expect from your day. Try writing about 5 things that you are grateful for in your life. This is a great way of bringing positive thinking.
- Focus on positives – It is very easy to give in to negative thinking but it is important to fight that and focus on the positives in our life no matter how little it is.
Negative thinking is like a monster that is very strong and is really easy to adapt to. The important thing for us to remember is that no matter how strong it maybe it will just lead us to our doom.
We need to fight it with the powers of positive thinking and make our lives a place of happiness, prosperity, and success.
More useful information
In The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, Dr. Joseph Murphy gives you the tools you will need to unlock the awesome powers of your subconscious mind. You can improve your relationships, your finances, your physical well-being.
The Happiness Hypothesis is a book about ten Great Ideas. Each chapter is an attempt to savor one idea that has been discovered by several of the world’s civilizations – to question it in light of what we now know from scientific research and to extract from it the lessons that still apply to our modern lives and illuminate the causes of human flourishing.